Special 2018 CABUCA Essay Contest
For over 30 years CABUCA has spotlighted the academics, achievements and legacy of historically Black colleges and universities to students in the Greater Cincinnati area. In an effort to increase attendance of students at HBCUs, CABUCA is announcing the “2018 CABUCA Essay Contest”. The winner of this contest will receive a $500 book scholarship for use at any accredited HBCU for the 2019-2020 school year.
- Essay topic: Students must prepare an essay in response to the question:
“How do you plan to contribute to the rich legacy of HBCUs?”
- Essay must be no fewer than 200 words and no more than 800 words in length.
- All essays must be submitted typed and double-spaced (12 pt font – Times New Roman typeface)
- Essay must be solely the work of the entrant. Plagiarism will result in disqualification.
- Mail completed application cover sheet and essay to: CABUCA Essay ●P.O. Box 37022●Cincinnati, OH 45222.
- Essay must be received by December 1, 2018, no later than 11:59 PM, EST.
- A $500 book scholarship will be awarded to the winning entrant.
- Contest is open to African American seniors graduating in the 2018-2019 school year.
- Entrants must be enrolled in 12th grade at time of submission.
- Applicants must be residents of regional Tri-state area (Ohio, Kentucky, Indiana) and enrolled in a local high school
- Student must show proof of enrollment into a historically Black college or university (HBCU)* to receive the scholarship. *As defined by US Department of Education
- Only one entry per student
- Essays will be judged on both style and content. Judges will look for writing that is clear, articulate, grammatically correct and logically organized.
- Essay submissions will be evaluated in a fair and unbiased judging process.
- Decisions of the judges are final.
- CABUCA members and their immediate family members are not eligible for this contest. All entries become the property of CABUCA and will not be returned.
- CABUCA reserves the right to post essay submissions on its website and use in communications.
- The winner and all other participants will be notified via e-mail and/or phone by December 31, 2018.
NOTE: The winner is expected to acknowledge, in writing, receipt of the scholarship.
Mail completed application cover sheet and essay to:
CABUCA Essay P.O. Box 37022 Cincinnati, OH 45222